Saturday, January 2, 2010

Botswana to Malawi



With so many activities packed into the holiday season it has been a great challenge to keep my blog updated. So right now, I will attempt to condense the last 3 weeks into a brief (for your sake) summary.
After Swakopmund, Namibia we drove northeast to Botswana. We camped near Maun, the last city before one enter's the Okavango Delta, the world's largest inland delta . In order to enter the Delta our tour group rode in the back of an open truck for 3 hours to reach the "poling station". At the poling station we met our respective polers, the people who would navigate us with the use of a pole, rather than a paddle, in a dug out woodent canoe, also known as a mokoro. Since the water of the delta is so shallow, they use poles to project they mokoros through the tall swamp grass and water lilies. As Waco poled Lise to our campsite we were able to catch the eye of a hippo in the water only 20 feet away from us! (Mind you, hippos are known to cause the human fatalities in Africa). While camping the delta we were able to swim, go on various bush walks, try our hand at poling mokoros, and making bracelets from the grasses of the delta. During the bush walks we babboons, wildebeest, zebra, elephants, giraffes, and buffalo (which are also rather dangerous animals). On our last night our polers enteratained with local song and dance. Words cannot do the delta justice, and I will post some pics as soon as I have the technology to do so. Unfortunately, during my stay in the delta, my "WATERPROOF" camera, sustained water damage!!!! While I normally would be distraught by this event, I have learnd to let simply accept it and carry on. As most people in Africa like to say : NO WORRIES, HAKUNA MATATA, or TIA: THIS IS AFRICA. With this in mind, its easy to remain calm and enjoy every moment I have here. Since the camera break down, my friend Robert has allowed me to borrow his extra nikon camera so I am still able to capture the moments fo the remainder of my trip, although it is more difficult to upload pics for you!






After the Delta, we migrated to Chobe National Park where we saw impala, vutlures, lions, buffalo, pukus, waterbuck, colorful birds, and countless baboons and elephants (chobe is overpopulated with elephants).








We spent Chrismtas day in Zimbabwe, at the mighty Victoria Falls. For dinner I went to the Boma restaurant where we were dressed in traditional African prints, had our faces painted, joined in the drum and dance circle. We also tasted various game meats such as: eland, ostrich, baby crocodile, warthog, and impala. I recieved a certificate for successfully consuming a mopani worm for dessert! Also, I paid a visit to the Shaman who informed me I will have 5 grandchildren. Victoria Falls is simply majestic, as it spans 1 kilometer wide, my favorite view was from "Rainbow Falls". On the 27th I went on a rafting trip that started at the base of the falls and conintued through 21 rapids. On rapid "4, Morning Glory, I was quickly ejected from the raft and frighteningly pinned underneath the raft as I tried to hold onto the raft with my right arm, while my left simultaneously held onto the paddle. After what felt like eternity holding my breath under the raft, I let go and soon resurfaced to be grabbed by our guide and pulled back onboard. Did I mention that this was a class 5 rapid? I survived the Zambezi in the end and it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!


After vic falls we took a quick cruise through Zambia to get to Malawi for New Year's. We spent New Year's eve at Kande Beach on Lake Malawi. Lake Malwai is Africa's 3rd largest lake and appears more like an ocean than a lake! On January first my friend Julie and I went on a village walk through Bamba and had a chance to join in a dance competition between 3 villages. Julie danced with the locals while I snapped hundreds of phots of children who were begging to have their picture taken. They are such sweet children so eager to meet you and share their delighful smiles. There was one girl in particular who would not leave my side and fell asleep in my lap while we watched the talented dancers. Right then I almost stuffed her in my purse and took her back to camp.... but my voice of reasoning kicked in and I left her there (*tear*). We also saw the local school and met the headmaster before heading to a local pub to try Chimbuku, the locally brewed beer. This beer was unlike any I have tried before since it has a pulp-like texture and is served at room temperture. We finished off our village walk with fresh mangoes (they're everywhere around here!). Tonight we will have a pig roast at our campsite to celebrate our last night at Kande Beach. How's that for a "summary??" lol


This is my Africa Travel Company group photo from Chrismas

No comments:

Post a Comment